Legit rant against Star Trek Makeup Department hate.
Okay, I really hate it when people say that the makeup team for Deep Space Nine was terrible. The makeup for Deep Space Nine and all the other Treks was conceptualized, designed, sculpted, supervised, and achieved by one man. Michael Westmore. He had a team to help him manufacture and apply all the prosthetics, but at the end of the application, it was his job to make sure it was perfect. It is expected for the look of a character to evolve throughout the series, and there are some instances where the makeup doesn’t last through the acting. Prosthetic edges show, seams detach and colors vary. It is an extraordinarily hard job to keep one look so consistent throughout a loved show. Yes, I watch episodes of DS9 and see the transition from latex to skin on Dukat’s neck ridges, Worf’s wig seam detach, Quark’s ears differently painted, and Marritza’s eye ridge shift position from one scene to the next. But then I imagine the actors having to get up at three in the morning and the makeup artists getting up even earlier to prepare for three to four hours in the makeup chair before an eighteen hour day of filming. So the next time any of you notices a makeup ‘mistake,’ just think about what the artists had to do to achieve these looks. Michael Westmore revolutionized makeup for television, and don’t you ever forget that.
Here’s a picture of Westmore numbering yet another hand-drawn application of Dax’s spots.
One of Westmore’s team members powders a fresh Quark application.
Another of Westmore’s team applying color to Odo’s face - it took several tries to get the final design of this prosthetic.
The makeup team spent hours designing a configuration of the latex around Morn’s mouth so it would move right when he spoke - which he never ended up doing.
Long story short: DO NOT INSULT THE MAKEUP DEPARTMENT BECAUSE WITHOUT THEM THESE CHARACTERS WOULD NOT EVEN EXIST!!!
40 Notes/ Hide
- ambulatoryhoodie reblogged this from teroknortailor
- ambulatoryhoodie likes this
- pollydelonge likes this
- pinkiepieawesomeness likes this
- mystikitten reblogged this from teroknortailor
- mystikitten likes this
- paranoidopossum likes this
- scratchingtrouble likes this
- grandpopharley reblogged this from teroknortailor
- thebazarofbizarre likes this
- starrcat likes this
- toxicpatches likes this
- for-cardassia likes this
- pizzarina-sbarro likes this
- jadziasmovingcastle reblogged this from teroknortailor and added:
- dilithiumdime reblogged this from teroknortailor
- ellaisplotting reblogged this from teroknortailor
- tinsnip likes this
- listen2yourproblems4food reblogged this from teroknortailor
- listen2yourproblems4food likes this
- tymethiefslongerthoughts likes this
- laurelhach reblogged this from teroknortailor and added:
- helhesten likes this
- theotherwindow reblogged this from teroknortailor
- gaslightgallows likes this
- justwaitnc likes this
- charlestuckeriii likes this
- spodiddly likes this
- queerts likes this
- drcormiayyy reblogged this from flutterflyinvasion
- drcormiayyy likes this
- cleoselene likes this
- teroknortailor likes this
- beldamsansmerci likes this
- mehyewll reblogged this from teroknortailor
- weirdemmaline reblogged this from teroknortailor
- weirdemmaline likes this
- jadziasmovingcastle likes this
- teroknortailor posted this