So I’ve gotten a lot of shit for ‘not tagging things properly’ according to a few anons in the past.
WAKE UP CALL: THERE IS NO PROPER WAY TO TAG THINGS
However, there are some basic ways to improve on your own tagging system, which I will list below.
How Tagging Works
- Tumblr only takes the first five (5) tags of a post into account when searching for posts to put in tracked tags - this applies only to original posts, not reblogs
- Your own blog, however, tracks the first fifteen (15) tags in order to make all your posts searchable - this applies to both original posts and reblogs
- In both of these areas, a tag has to be less than 30 characters in order to be tracked
General Tagging Guidelines
- Tag your shit however you want
- If you want something to appear in the tracked tags, you need to tag it with the appropriate character names, shows, concepts, or whatever within the first five (5) tags or else it won’t show up - example (#sherlock #bbc #john watson #sherlock holmes #the blind banker) - there, now your post will show up in all those tags!
- If you have your own tagging system that mandates certain tags on your posts for your own benefit, you probably want to enact this in the next ten (10) tags, as your own blog will still track those tags and help your tagging system to work
- If you fangirl in the first five to fifteen (5-15) tags of a post, you are giving up tumblr’s ability to track the tags of that post and risk not having it show up in the tracked tags or a search on your own blog
- It’s a general courtesy to not gum up tracked tags with your own liveblogging, as this is a major source of spoilers and often has little meaning to others besides yourself and a small portion of your followers
- This means not tagging your liveblogging posts with the show or characters you are liveblogging about
- Consider implementing a custom liveblogging tag to use instead, such as #[your url] watches [show name] or simply #liveblogging
- However, if a liveblogging post results in some interesting meta or thoughts about a show character that you do want to share, feel free to put it the corresponding tags, because that may spark a discussion with other fans
- It is not necessary to use trigger warnings
- IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO USE TRIGGER WARNINGS
- Seriously, if you don’t want to put a trigger warning on a post, that is perfectly fine
- If people are triggered by something, then there are blacklists that they can use to hide those kinds of posts
- However, if you are in a mutual follow with people you know are part of the survivor community and/or have certain phobias, you might start tagging the occasional post or two with a trigger warning just to be nice
- If someone gets on your ass for not using a particular trigger warning, don’t feel like you have to apologize for not doing so because there is absolutely NOTHING in the tumblr user agreement thing that says trigger warnings are a mandatory thing and must be used at all times for anything and everything, okay?
- If you feel like something is nsfw, then by all means tag it as such
- However, like with trigger warnings, there is no clause in the tumblr user agreement thing that says all the porn has to be tagged as nsfw
- So if you don’t want to tag a picture of boobs, butt, penis, or vagina (or any combination thereof) as nsfw, then you absolutely don’t have to
- Spamming has been defined by a few of my angry anons as posting a large volume of things related to one specific concept in a short amount of time
- Some people tag it with #[name of thing] spam, and some people don’t, and that’s okay
- Your followers can deal with any untagged ‘spam’ by simply scrolling past it, so don’t feel guilty about not tagging it if you don’t want to
In conclusion, you can take all of this advice to heart and start tagging your own posts slightly differently, or you can say ‘fuck you’ to this entire post and keep tagging things however you’ve been tagging them.
Ultimately, your blog is your blog and there’s nothing anyone can do about that.
Tag what you want, how you want, and don’t give anyone else shit for how they tag things.